What is Open Enrollment?
The best time to purchase Medicare Supplement Insurance, also known as Medigap, is during your Open Enrollment period. This period lasts six months and begins the first day of the month in which you turn 65 years old, as long as you are enrolled in Medicare Part B.
- During Open Enrollment you can’t be denied for any pre-existing conditions.
- The insurance company cannot increase your rates based on your medical history.
- An insurance company cannot delay the start of your coverage for any reason.
- You will be able to avoid any waiting period the carrier has setup for new policies
- You will have the ability to sign up for a prescription drug plan.
- During Open Enrollment you can change your plan to ensure your needs are being met.